Well another year just flew by and Brides of Leigh are fast approaching 25 years in the industry, serving the Brides of Leigh, Lancashire and surrounding areas.
With 25 years in the wedding dress business we find we have supplied a bride with her dress, her daughter with her Communion dress, Prom dress and then her Bridal gown, coming full circle. It’s a privilege to know we are providing a great service. Wedding Dresses may have changed in style over the last 25 years from big sleeves, big bows, and flouncy skirts to strapless bodices, fine embroidery, beautiful beading, and delicate fabrics, lots of asymmetrical styles that fit and flatter the figure. But the expectation of brides remains the same.
- Top of the list – Value for money especially in today’s climate.
- Choice, a collection of the very latest in bridal wear, from award winning designers.
- Friendly, professional and dedicated staff.
- In house alteration service for that perfect fit.
- Comfortable atmosphere to browse the collection.
- Your gown pressed ready to wear.
Now for the mums this year we have introduced a collection of outfits for the mothers of the bride/groom available in a range of colours and sizes, and to complement, a collection of fascinator’s colour matched to suit, you can view some of the outfits on www.bridesofleigh.co.uk click on occasion wear, or you are welcome to call in to view.
With 25 years under our belt l think we can safely say we have some ideas of the do’s and don’ts when buying your Bridal wear.
- Do try to choose at least 8 months prior to your wedding. You do not want to be panicking 4 weeks before your wedding because the dress hasn’t’ arrived. Although ordering from a reputable shop you will be assured of delivery.
- Do go to the shop that is nearest to your home first or one that has been recommended to you, most shops have very similar styles.
- Do feel comfortable in the surroundings. A 40 mile round trip might seem a nice day out but going back for fittings 2 or 3 times when you are running out of days is going to tax your nerves.
- Do choose who you take with you carefully, one person who knows you well is far better than half a dozen friends and relatives all giving their opinions, the only person to know which dress is right is the bride herself, it can be very confusing.
- Don’t make six appointments in one day, by the time you get to shop 4 you will be sick of looking and all dresses will start to look the same, and there is nothing more off putting to a sales assistant than be told oh l’m only looking l’ve got another 4 appointments to go to. After all we are here to sell you your dream dress.
- Don’t leave your deposit if you are not 100% sure, once ordered you will not be able to change your mind, so sleep on it. If you are tired from trying on too many gowns, make another appointment to go back and retry to make absolutely sure you are happy. All we as retailers want is a happy bride who will recommend us to their family and friends.
- Don’t think that ordering from the least expensive is going to be the best option, there are probably hidden cost. How much are alterations! Have you to travel to get to the seamstress? What price are underskirts? Do you have to pay to have your gown pressed?
- Do try to buy your bridesmaid dresses from the same shop, and you’ll probably get discount.
- Don’t buy your gown from a shop that is not a stockist of the one you may have seen.
Prom gowns have become a must have these last few years and to keep up with the trends we at Brides of Leigh have a collection to satisfy every girls dream, and hopefully mums pocket, with gowns from soft and slinky to the big tulle ball gown and short little numbers to thrill, also suitable for that special night out. www.apromgown.co.uk
One last thing, be very careful of buying on the internet. We have over the last few years had girls who thought they were buying gowns by genuine designers only to be sold cheap inferior copies with no redress once ordered.
The thing to remember like anything else if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Words by Susan Grundy – Brides of Leigh wedding dresses